Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Choose your own weather adventure...

Remember those 'choose your own adventure' books where you got to make the decisions as you went along, flipping forward and backward to various pages throughout the book?  That's sort of how the weather has felt the past 24 hours.  Flip-flopping back and forth.  Hot and muggy?  Cool and torrential rains?  Cloudy with a light rain?  Dark, windy and wet?  Warm and sunny?  Which weather do you prefer?  Except it isn't choose your own weather, so we didn't get a say!

Christine, Peppy, and I had all of this weather in the last 24 hours.  The weather just couldn't make up it's mind, so yesterday it switched back and forth about every half hour.  We had soaking downpours multiple times, which turned the trail into a swiftly flowing stream and the stream crossings into raging river crossings (only a mild exaggeration!).  Peppy fell in the "stream" (I was standing right there and immediately hauled him out), but was surprisingly chipper about the whole wet mess of a day.

Hiding out under a rock outcropping during one of the torrential downpours.  Yes, I am soaked head to toe, as evidenced by my hair plastered to my head.
Contrast that image with this one taken the previous morning:
Hot and sunny at the time!
Since the weather couldn't make up its mind yesterday, we are drying out during a zero day today.  We're looking forward to eating dinner at The Homeplace restaurant later this week, which is famous for its delicious 'all you can eat' ('AYCE' in hiker lingo) family style meals.

On a side note:  For those who have had trouble leaving comments in the past, I think I have changed the settings and the issue should be resolved.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you drying out. You guys have weathered some storms, (no pun Intended). Enjoy your meal and time together. Spent three wonderful days with your mom and Pastor Beth Ann I feel so blessed. Take care sending all our love and prayers.

    Debbie Shannon and Emre

    ReplyDelete