Patricia and I are wrapping up the last night of my visit with her and Peppy. We had a fun week even though the weather forced us to change our plans a bit. We did some backpacking, some camping, some hosteling, some motel staying, and some slack packing. Here is a sampling of pictures from our week (do not be fooled by the apparently bountiful sunshine - I didn't get my camera out much in the rain!)
| Our dual hammock set up (my hammock was hand-made by Little Bird herself!) |
| The chickens at Wood's Hole Hostel really wanted to eat our resupply... |
| ...constant vigilance and trekking poles were necessary to keep our supplies safe! |
| One of my favorite photos I took of Patricia and Peppy at an overlook |
| Peppy napped in a bush while Patricia and I enjoyed a sunny overlook |
| Possibly the cutest thing to watch (though I held my breath the whole time they were crossing) |
| No lost spectacles here but I did lose one of my contacts at our campsite the previous night |
| My favorite action shot of Little Bird and The Inspector hiking |
| Town trek through the outskirts of Pearisburg, VA |
| Yes, the white blazes really do go up and over this apparent wall. Good thing we were slack packing that day - it was challenging enough to get Peppy through that without the 30+ pound packs! |
![]() |
| "We love our bread, we love our butter, but most of all we love each other" (and wouldn't you love to know how much butter our favorite thru-hiker ate in a 24 hour period - I am not telling!) |
![]() |
| We crossed Patricia's 600th mile at the beginning of Day 2. She will cross mile 700 the day after I leave. Way to go Little Bird - great progress and thanks for the fun week! |


I hope that this chicken is the largest critter that attempts to get at your supplies. A treking pole would not be very effective against a..., well, you know, that big critter Mark M. keeps worrying, i.e. teasing, you about. Sounds like you encountered a determined, brave chicken!
ReplyDeleteBald Bird
So if we have Little Bird, Bald Bird, and Big Bird (which must mean "big sister" because Christine is hardly bigger than Patricia!), does that make me Mama Bird?
ReplyDeleteI LOVE seeing these pictures and hearing the stories. What a wonderful adventure you both are having!! We are so proud of both of you! My heart feels happy to see the bread and butter picture and quote. Good memories of watching Madeline stories when you were children. I AM curious to hear how much butter Little Bird ate since she doesn't usually like butter!! I guess hiking changes the appetite in many ways!
Peppy looks so cute peering out from the bushes! And following Patricia across the log! Yes, I would have been holding my breath, as well, on that one!
Love you!
Mama Bird
Wondering if Meredith is Baby Bird or Bird Dog.
DeleteHi Little Bird,
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying your and your sister's stories and pictures. I wish I was still out on the trail. You are making great progress. It seems like the cold driving rains like the one when our paths last crossed are over. The ponies seem fun and different. I hope to see you in Massachusetts
Shaggy (Bryan)
Hey Little Bird!
ReplyDeleteIt's Kevin, from PA (I met you at Uncle Johnny's, in Erwin, back in May~) Here's hoping you & Peppy are enjoying your hike and are still going strong!