Thursday, June 6, 2013

Two Month Trailiversary!

Yesterday was my two month trailiversary and I received the best present ever!!! My sister Christine came to join me for a little while!

Starting our hike near Bland, VA!
Today the weather was yucky and rainy.  Since Peppy and I had not taken a day off since Damascus over a week ago, Christine and I slack-packed her favorite distance (half marathon, 13.1 mi.) while Peppy trashed the hotel room (forgot to get a picture, apparently he is creative about getting bags full of re-supply food off the counter, though he really didn't get into the food, just made a mess scattering it about!)

Catching up on pictures:

Hot Springs where we had a relaxing zero day.

The river was flooded over the trail so we had to blue-blaze up the old AT.

Some trees revealed the trace of previous white blazes.

It was great to go home and see all the family for Meredith's graduation from Wittenberg. My grandparents Troy helped get me back to the trail. I am so thankful for such a supportive family!

Enjoying the view from Firescald Knob.

Good morning!! I love that my hammock allows me to set up among the knee high plants!

Cooking on my wood-burning stove.  I love not having to carry fuel!

I had the whole shelter to myself since most other hikers were heading to Trail Days.



Staying dry from the rain in the shelter.  Peppy and I heard thunder when we were 3 miles away.  We raced down the mountain, grabbed some wood and got water before it started raining!

This shelter is a converted barn overlooking the valley.  Talk about waking up to a gorgeous view!


View of the barn from above.
State number two crossed off the list!

Sometimes in the middle of the woods, on the top of a mountain, life sends you a bench.

And the view from the bench looks like this.
Love a good view!
Peppy saw his first cows...he wasn't sure what to think so he made sure I was between him and them as we walked past.
Three states finished!
Damascus is a very hiker-friendly town.  The trail runs through the center of town.
So far we have had great weather on the balds, which means amazing views!
Peppy likes the balds best because he can roll in the grass.  I have been trying to catch him rolling on video, but he manages to quit rolling by the time I hit the record button.  He must think it will ruin his dignity if I catch it on video!
The VA highlands are some of the most gorgeous sections of the trail.  Beautiful in the evening...
...Beautiful in the morning.
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...pony pictures!
First glimpse of the herd.

The first pony approaches.
And begins to lick and nibble.

Peppy would bark at the ponies, but after the first time they barely jumped.  Then began the game of stalking up on him from behind.

This foal was very curious about Peppy too, but far more cautious than the mischievous adults!
Pony love!

I could have stayed here all day...

...Except that nibbling ponies are quite persistent, which actually gets a bit annoying when you are trying to watch the herd but keep getting your fingers bit and they want to eat your pack!
 The rain continues, but the miles are rolling by!
500 miles done!
The official count is now 600 miles, which I just completed today! I plan to complete another hundred while Christine is with me, so I better get to bed since it is way past hiker midnight (9pm)!

Thanks to everyone who has sent thoughts, love, support, prayers, and cards my way.  A special thanks to Mrs. Bauer's second grade class and my godson Emre for sending me this awesome packet of letters encouraging me on my hike!

3 comments:

  1. OMG Linda....these pics are awesome. I am forwarding them to my sister Barb. She has enjoyed them too. Such beautiful sites. Makes me wish I was younger so I could go with them. Your girls are amazing!! From Pam (PSSR)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe looking at these amazing pix….the bravery, the love, the views, the ponies! Just WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! I love, too, the format of this email. I know my son, Brian, will be envious of this extraordinary adventure and I have forwarded it on to him!!!!!! Barb (Pam's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting these pictures and getting us caught up! How amazing that you have gone 500 miles (at the time of the pics--600 now) and had such a great time with the wild ponies! Beautiful scenery and so great to see you and Christine together on the trail! Love you both!! Mom

    ReplyDelete