Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Half-way in Harper's Ferry!

Peppy and I arrived in Harper's Ferry, WV on 7/7 amidst a sudden thunderstorm that soaked us as we dashed the last 500 yards to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy headquarters in town.  We enjoyed a nice zero yesterday, exploring historic Harper's Ferry.  Today we head into Maryland!
Half-way there!
The week in review:

Fourth of July at the Jim and Molly Denton Shelter.  I packed out the makings for s'mores.  Chuckles and Lil Spoon brought hot dogs and sparklers.  It was very festive with an amazing lightening bug display for fireworks.  Peppy didn't like the booming of the real fireworks though and hid in the shelter.

 
Virginia is a jealous state.  After enjoying the company of the hikers for 1/4 of the trail, she doesn't want to let them go.  So they took all the rocks from the rest of VA and used them to build the roller coaster, the last 12 miles of trail in VA.  The final climb was so steep it felt like I might tip over backward and roll back down, never to escape VA.

I did escape though.  And had this last view back over the plains and mountains of VA.  I said my farewells and gladly moved on northward!
1,000 miles!
The six of us made the mad dash down the ridge, across the Potomac bridge, and up into town to the ATC in an attempt to beat the sudden storm. True to the hike so far, we failed and were soaked mere feet from our destination.
My picture in the photo album at the ATC!

Fashion statement of the hike.  I sent my rain pants home, so when doing laundry I had to get creative.  Thankfully my down vest now fits as a skirt!  By pairing my down 'virt' (vest/skirt) with my rain jacket and my new neon hiking boots, I was ready for the runway.

4 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!!!! And, as a fellow wearer of tops converted to bottoms, the virt rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo-hooo! You look awesome and happy, and stylish to boot. I, too, watched fireflies to the sound of booming fireworks in celebration of Independence Day--probably the best light show ever. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great Patricia, especially now that you are dry :) It won't be long and we can give you lots of hugs. Emre ask every day how many more days. If you need me to bring you anything just let us know favorite candy, snacks ect, Give Peppy a hug and save one for yourself, Can't wait to see you.

    Love Debbie and crew

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Patricia,

    So good to talk with you today. I pray that my advice helps and you are hale and hearty for the next 1000 miles. You are in our prayers. Call anytime if you need anything...

    Beth Anne

    ReplyDelete