| My new hiking attire. |
It works for me, and the umbrella provides shade as well as rain protection. Indeed, my umbrella is my new best hiking partner, so much so that I have given her a name: Poulnabrone Bumbershoot. Where you may ask did I come up with such an unusual name? Well, as I was hiking along enjoying the shade from my umbrella, I thought about how convenient it was to have portable shade.
| My shade goes wherever I go! |
This got me thinking about portable tombs. What you may ask is a portable tomb? Well, in reality: nothing.
However when visiting Poulnabrone Dolmen in Ireland, which is a "portal tomb," some other tourists read the sign out loud as "portable tomb." Now is you are standing there reading the sign, this is what you see before you:
Poulnabrone became elevated from a mere umbrella to a lofty parasol by a police sergeant from Long Island, out for the weekend on the trail, who exclaimed "You have a parasol!" when I went hiking by. He later commented to me that I arrived at the shelter (after a rather steep climb) looking ready for a cocktail party. I don't know about you, but I don't usually go to cocktail parties (at all) with my sweaty hair plastered to my head, wearing a dress with hot chocolate spilled down the front and caterpillar guts on the butt (I accidentally sat on one and it has proven difficult to wash out of the awkward location on my behind.).
Such have been some of my adventures so far. Two days ago I was met by my fabulous friends Prairie Dog and Dragonfly, whom I fittingly am spending the 4th of July with after spending it with them last year on the trail. Yesterday Prairie Dog took me into the city, as in NYC, which was fun and very different from the trail.
| On the Staten Island ferry. |
| In Times Square. |
Today is my first real zero day (yesterday doesn't count since we walked about 6 miles around town!) and I timed it just right so that I am in town rather than hiking in the rain!
Happy 4th to all!
~Little Bird
I am so glad to learn about your portable shade! Much more practical than a portable tomb! How exciting to have visited Times Square and seen other sights in NYC. I look forward to hearing about your sightseeing. Sorry about the caterpillar stain on your dress, but really, the poor caterpillar is to be most pitied--he gave his life for your seating pleasure. ;-) Lots of love and I look forward to the next post. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete