Two more states that is. Today I crossed into New Hampshire, leaving Vermont behind. Aside from a farewell thunderstorm this morning and a few miles of road walking to leave the state, Vermont has been one of my favorite states. The scenery has been gorgeous and there are so many places I made a note to come back and spend more time at. Because we have had such gorgeously nice weather, the mud has been at a minimum and so have the rocks, which means the trail is actually a dirt path!
I have been running into many SOBOs (Southbounders) the past week, as they all approach 500 miles on the trail. They have finished the Whites, the section I am about to begin, and are winding down the 4,000 ft mountain climbs (for now). We NOBOs are beginning to head into the section with large climb after large climb. We've certainly done a lot of up and down the past few days. 1,100 ft in 0.7 miles (Quimby Mt) feels a bit like trying to rock climb while carrying a huge pack. And it will only increase in the White Mountains, but at least there will be views to anticipate (Quimby Mountain did not have a view at the top! We just turned around and went sharply down!).
After climbing over what felt like a million "shark teeth" yesterday (my name for sharp up/downs in short mileage), and racing through a thunderstorm this morning, I'm feeling a bit beat up. Thankfully a shower makes it all better (and so does being inside while another thunderstorm goes by!).
The light outside is fading and this hiker is fading rapidly. Hiker-midnight approaches and if I'm still awake I'll turn into a pumpkin. Time for bed!
~Little Bird
Goodnight Little Pumpkin...I mean...Little Bird, LOL. Hollister and I are following your blog. You are doing AMAZING!! Keep up the good work and good health. Special K
ReplyDeleteI love you!! I am so excited that you are continuing to move north toward your goal! Take care of yourself, don't push too hard, rest well, and stay healthy and safe! I know, I sound like such a mom! But I am, so I can't help it! Very proud of you and all you are accomplishing! PS, I love you! Mom
ReplyDeleteHey little Bird! So good to hear from you Emre ask about you everyday and wants to know where you are at. I get the map out and show him and he just smiles. We are so proud of you and miss you. Two states to go WOOHOO!! I wish I could meet you in Maine and have and a giant seafood feast. YUM YUM. One of my favorite states. We send all our Love and Prayers your way, be safe and enjoy.
ReplyDelete